What you’ll find in the guide:
- Help choosing the best time to visit — based upon price, weather, and your specific interests
- Monthly weather patterns
- Month-by-month calendar of major holidays and festivals
- Pre-travel information, including visas, vaccines, power adapters, and essential apps
- Best options for getting around town, including the all-important airport transfer
- The day-to-day essentials, including banking, grocery store and pharmacy information, getting a phone chip, the lowdown on drinking water, public wi-fi, a little known bathroom tip
- Public safety information — including dos and don’ts
- Information about local customs and greetings
- Tipping: who, when, and how much
- The souvenir scene — what to get and where
- The must-try food and drink of Salvador — we have a food scene all our own here
- What you need to know about going to the beach, including how to keep from getting ripped off
- The top 10 things to do in Salvador
- Neighborhood guides for the five most popular neighborhoods for visitors
What you’ll get with Ask-Me-Anything:
An AMA session is exactly what it sounds like: ask any question you like, and I have to answer it.
Sample AMA questions:
- Where can I take music lessons?
- Where can I take dance lessons?
- Where can I buy tickets to…?
- How much should I tip?
- What time is sunset?
- What is happening on a stage in the Pelourinho this weekend?
- How long will it take to get to the airport?
- Where can I top up my pre-paid phone chip?
- Where can I go to buy…?
- Who can I talk to for…?
Frequently Asked Questions
How does the ask-me-anything service work?
Once you complete the checkout process, you’ll receive an email that contains my WhatsApp number along with a link confirm the dates of your trip and some basic details. While the form is not technically necessary, the more info I have about you and your trip prior to your arrival in Salvador, the easier it will be for me to provide useful and timely answers to your questions. Either way, your four weeks of support start when you send your first message.
What can I use the ask-me-anything service for?
The service is designed to help visitors who are already in Salvador with questions that can be answered in a quick WhatsApp conversation. A few examples are: where to find dance or music classes, hours for the Olodum retail shop, is Cortejo Afro playing this week, where to rent surfboards in Barra, help translating a WhatsApp message.
What can I not use the ask-me-anything service for?
As much as possible, I want to leave “ask me anything” to be anything. But, beyond the obvious — I won’t help you do anything illegal — we can’t purchase things on your behalf (e.g. show tickets) or support you with pre-trip planning.
When do my four weeks of ask-me-anything support start?
It starts as soon as you send your first question.
What is your response time to questions on WhatsApp?
We try to answer all questions within a few hours if sent between 10am and 10pm Salvador time.