Brazilian dance music straight from the well-worn hallways of the Cultural Foundation of Bahia (Fundação Cultural do Estado da Bahia – FUNCEB) — the pre-professional dance program in Salvador.
In Salvador, dancers are lucky enough to play to live drumming, something that dancers in most of the world can only dream about. But virtually all dance classes in Salvador are graced with the presence of world-class musicians. Really, it’s true!
Bira composed and created this album, Ritmos Mestiços, when he was one of those drummers. So, he knows exactly what a dance professor and student need to bring Afro-Brazilian dance to life.
Within the album you’ll find original compositions rich with the traditional rhythms of west Africa as well as the Afro-Brazilian culture — including samba de roda, samba reggae, candomblé, and maracatu.
- Bataxalá (5:46)
- Linguagem de Berimbaus (5:45)
- Samba Duro (5:04)
- Bravum (3:30)
- Afro Dois Santos (4:31)
- Ilus (4:17)
- Africanismo (5:49)
- Aguerê de Oxóssi (3:11)
- Improvísio Baiano (4:08)
- 6 por 8 (5:34)
- Samba Reggae (5:03)
- Maracás (5:42)
- Afro Merengue (5:16)
- Ramunha (3:01)
Total play time: 66:37
All songs are either from the public domain or are original compositions of Bira’s. All arrangements are by Bira Santos.
- Bira Santos: Berimbau, Congas, Djembe, Effects, Surdo, Timbau
- Everaldo Santos: Congas, Djembe, Surdo Virado, Effects
- Júnior Ribeiro: Berimbau, Conga, Agogô, Tamborim
- Cristiano: Timbau, Effects
- George: Conga, Repique, Timbau
- Alex: Timbau, Effects
- Amber: Congas
- Concept: Bira Santos
- Direction and Adaptation: Bira Santos & Everaldo Santos
- Cover art: Matos
- Graphics: Orla Jensen
- Recording Location: Diáspora Art Center
- Recording: Amber
- Overall Producer: Bira Santos
- Production Assistant: Rachel Santos